Your Railroad Book Library
I have three new Railroad manuals-

Pennsylvania Railroad

Questions and Answers on Alternating Current Electric Locomotives, Alternating Current M.U. Cars and Oil Fired Boilers for Steam Heat-1943

Its a WWII era book, (appropriate, since I found it buried in old US Army manuals at the Mid-Atlantic Air Museum' WWII Weekend Airshow), but what is really nice is that it basically gives you the run down on how to operate the older PRR electric equipment, such as GG1s and MP54s. This might be useful for a future project of mine, involving operating a model train from an authentic model train controller.

General Electric Operators Manuals These manuals have some valuable tidbits in them for modeling purposes, and its nice to have the manuals for my favorite cars

Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority Operators Manual: Penn Central Car numbers 270 through 399 Reading Co. Car Numbers 9018 through 9031

This is a manual for the Silverliner IV Electric Multiple Units used by SEPTA. Somewhat frustratingly, I just found an online PDF of the same manual just the other night (after having bid on this one). However, I've found that my manual is the original, and the online was was revised April 1974. My version must have been from a few months earlier in February, when the first Silverliner IVs had begun arriving.

It leads me to wonder if there is yet another revised manual out there, as the Reading Company would purchase Silverliner IV Married Pairs and number them into the "100 Series" in 1975.

State of New Jersey Department of Transportation Operators Manual: Penn Central Car Numbers 534 through 603 Rev. January 1975

This is the manual for the Jersey Arrow II electric multiple units bought by the NJ DOT. This is a particularly rare book, but I am very glad to have obtained it. While Silverliner IVs still exist unaltered, there are only two surviving Arrow IIs, and they have been demotored and heavily modified.

One of the issues I've had modeling the Arrow II is the underbody. The pictures I had weren't really doing any justice, but the operator's manual has a clear diagram of the underbody and all of its components. This should let me correct my existing pair of models, as well as properly assemble my future Arrow II sets.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread