Just for fun: Crazy Prototype locations
ScrewySqrl Wrote:There's a saying in Model Railroading: Whatever it is, there's a prototype for it!
What I'd like to see here are real, prototype locations that seem to violate the established 'rules' for model railroading:
Super sharp curves, crazy grades outside of logging lines, spaghetti bowls. 'missing the christmas tree' loops, 'badly soldered points', 'poor ballasting', 'cars not weathered properly', and other silly rivet-counter complaints.

Icon_twisted 357 Wink Sag Harbor Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Company's "railroad", is 3' gauge because the tight confines of the Shipyard, required curves too sharp for Standard Gauge. ( SHS&D really has no "prototype", but I have been on ships, in shipyards,
for overhaul, and am aware of the restrictions the yard imposes on the use of railroads, and the layout of their tracks ).

I like the idea of posting photos of scenes that appear to violate all the accepted concepts of an operating railroad.
:?: When did prototype railroads "solder points" :?: Icon_twisted Wink Things like that could be used to greatly personalize a layout, or create an " I can't believe that this thing is actually, a *working* ",
"bundle of unbelievability" ( which can be far more challenging, and far more "creative", than modeling a prototype ).

For me, personally, it is the successful reproduction of a scene that has a strong "natural" appearance. I've been at this for,
...........well..........over fifty years now, and still I'm finding better ways to do things, and better materials to do them with.

We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!

Messages In This Thread