Reviewing my layout plans
Steve,

I am familiar with the CSAO operation at Millville. In 2007 the yard at Millville had seven tracks in operation, at present there are three plus the main. The main is used as the arrival- departure track and the interchange with the Winchester and Western RR, which is their biggest customer. To the best of my knowledge in 2007 they had Progresso Foods, outgoing RBL boxcars, Kimble Glass, incoming hoppers usually two or three, Safeway Freezer and another cold storage facility which saw quit a few incoming mechanical reefers and refrigerator cars, RFC Container, incoming boxcars and the interchange of cars for the WW. Present day there may be an occasional car for Progresso, one or two hoppers for Gerrescheimer Glass(Kimble), several reefer cars per week for Safeway and cars for RFC Container. WW is still their biggest customer with probably 90% of the cars going to them. CSAO mainly uses GP38-2's and 40-2's from CSX and NS, in 2007 you saw the locos still in Conrail paint but patched for either CSX or NS.
CSAO would operate MI-21 out of the Millville yard to serve its customers on the Vineland Secondary and Vineland Industrial track, which was a run of about seven miles one way. They would make up their consist in the yard and then depart with locos on both ends of the train as there was no runaround in Vineland. The same engines would be used during the night as MI-61 which was the transfer of cars to Camden and then return with cars for Millville and the WW.
As far as modeling this all their customers except Progresso are on the Vineland Industrial Track. Safeway could be a background flat with a siding capable of holding several cars. They only have one door for unloading. RFC Container is on a curved siding with a covered dock on the left side of the building(as I remember it) could be scratched or a kitbashed Walthers Lakeville warehousing kit. Kimble/Gerresheimer would probably have to be scratch built, the hoppers go inside a gated area at the plant. I believe if you do the Vineland Industrial you would have to include the turnout onto the VIT from the Vineland Secondary and the diamond off of the VIT that crosses the VS to get to the glass plant. I tried to include some photos of the area but the computer is not allowing me to access my external harddrive. If you look at Google Maps Vineland,NJ the area of Park Ave and NE Blvd you will see this.
Another thing for your consideration is that the Winchester and Western gets a lot of hoppers for the glass plants it services in Millville and ships out sand in hoppers. It also receives tank cars for storage which generates a lot of traffic. Also during the corn harvest season they ship out grain cars as needed sometimes up to eighty cars.
I forgot to mention that CSAO also service Espoma a fertilizer plant in Millville which is on a siding off of the Millville yard, they get covered hoppers.

Bruce

Messages In This Thread