What do you model apart from railroads ?
Well I have no photos of old models either.

However I began about 6
First model was a 10 cent Comet Ercoupe, tried to cut it out with the only razor blade I could get ---a double edged Gillette-- I got cut a lot more than the balsa & it never got finished.
Next , I discovered Monogram Speedee- Built airplanes ---built everyone of them some more than once.
Few of them were flown, I would add cocpit details & such, too heavy to fly.
About 12 or so I scratched a tugboat out of a 2X4 using a picture on the box of a Revell tugboat that I found in the garbage .

Built a "generic " submarine the same way, using a picture in the worldbook as my guide.

Tried a wood model car, a Ford Sportsman convt. by Berkley------- wood cars are not too successful.

Built several free flight airplanes --- was not fond of non-scale stuff. About 15 -16 now.

AHA ---- NOW they start making PLASTIC cars , real model airplanes are WOOD --- but it takes plastic to do a car right!
Revrell Highway Pioneers--- thats the first cars issued , did not care for the 'horsless carrige" type , but they made a deuce cpe & roadster, 1 /32 I think, built a ton of those , street type to B'ville type.

Years later I began building 1/24 cars mostly 30's to 50's rods & customs all modified -- won a couplre of international contests with a 36 Ford, with a hadbuilt ardun, & a 37 chev convt with a blown 12 port jimmy.

I still have about 80 unbuilt car kits that I hope to build one day , if I live to 125.

Somewhere in between I built some control line scale planes & a few RC planes

The truth is I just like to build models & when iI realized in the late 70's that if I took up model railroading there was a reason to build any thing I had a fancy to , building, train , car, mountainside --- did not matter what ---it let the whole world be your prototype!! AT last I am HAPPY!
Instant glue ? ---- SOLDER ---- NOW THATS INSTANT!

Messages In This Thread