Freight train crew questions
When I worked for CSXT we had 2 person crews on road freights, an engineer and a conductor. There was talk about cross training us all into APEs... All Purpose Employees. This way no seperate engineer/conductor lists had to be maintained, each employee could do both. From what I understand that has begun to an extent since I left the RR.

For local freights and yard jobs the job may have one or more brakemen assigned as well, depending on the amount of work to be done. While the conductor was in charge of the train and associated paperwork, the brakemen would help to do the ground work, I.E. throw switches, couple/uncouple cars, make spots/set outs, etc. under supervision of the conductor. Brakemen were called from the conductor list, and were not necessarily junior to the conductor in charge of the train.

In the old days positions on the head end crew consisted of Engineer, Fireman, Head End Brakeman/Flagman; rear end crew would have been Conductor and Rear End Brakeman/Flagman. The position of fireman actually lasted well into the diesel era, perhaps into the 80's?

I'm sure Brakie will have more information on this subject.

Dave
-Dave

Messages In This Thread