Lubricating HO Locos
I would try to do it myself to be honest. Its not nearly as difficult as it looks. Just keep track of where each part goes, and keep them separated. Just a few days ago i was tearing down my locomotives to their base components and checking everything. I had on Athearn GP38-2 down to even it's motor armatures. I gave everything a good polishing, and washed the gears, wheels, and bearings down with 91% alcohol and an old tooth brush. I cut the commutator springs a little bit, and then i put it all back together with a little drop of Labelle 102 in all the brass bearings, and labelle 106 on the gears.

the thing runs so smooth, even at slow speeds, that it is absolutely amazing, and its a far cry from what it was. It definitely fixed all the issues i was having with it. probably the only thing left to replace are the steel wheels, which tarnish and dirty way to fast. NWSL makes nickel silver ones, if i have have the money to spare.

in any event, its not to difficult to take model apart to check for flash, clean, and re-oil. its tedious, but if you keep everything organized and clean, you can probably pump out a locomotive in 45-90 minutes.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread