WOOHOO! Good weather = time to build
Are you planning on doing your own bricklaying, too?

Gary S Wrote:
doctorwayne Wrote:The next house will be 2"x6" framing, as is the current one, but with rock wool instead of fibreglass, then a continuous vapour barrier of 2" extruded foam on the inside face of all exterior walls.

Now that is some SERIOUS insulation! What would be your guess for an average temperature during winter?

We may get below freezing only two or three times in a winter, and very rarely for more than a day at a time. I'd say the average winter temp down here is in the low 50s. (That's F degrees...)

Actually, where I live now it doesn't really get that cold - perhaps -5F or -10F, but not too often and usually not for too long, either: it's sometimes called the banana belt of southern Ontario. Icon_lol It actually costs as much to cool the house in summer as it does to heat it in winter - I'm not a fan of natural gas, so both heating and cooling are electric. Lots of large windows, too, and lots of large trees for shade.
The main problem with winter here is not that it's so cold (it's not, although I don't particularly like that) or that we get so much snow (we don't, although I don't mind it - mainly 'cause I don't hafta go out in it), but that it goes on for so darn long, usually being dark and dreary from the start of November to the end of April. Sometimes I'll go for weeks without seeing the sun and... No! Wait!! That's because I'm in the basement with my trains. Misngth Goldth Misngth Goldth

Wayne

Messages In This Thread