WOOHOO! Good weather = time to build
Yes and no. Yes - hanging the rock vertically will result in fewer seams. But they will all be long vertical joints that will make the middle part of each sheet bow out slightly, even if you nail down each stud. You only have 4' (less actually) to work with, so you will have a 2 vertical rows of nails trying to flatten and secure in between each long joint. The taper is barely wide enough for the tape. You can't just tape the joint and cover the tape out to the edge of the tapered part. You need to go 10'' - 12'' inches out on both sides to hide the joint completely. By rocking the room horizontally, you will stagger the now 4' joints vertically and have a long 8' joint going horizontally around the room 4' from the floor. Then you create a brick pattern. Look at your outside wall at the brick and that's what it will end up looking like, just much bigger "bricks". It does create more work, but because you are dealing with smaller sections at a time, it will more likely result in a straighter wall when you look at it, especially from an angle, and you won't have a wavy look to it. If you are going to paint your backdrop directly on the wall, then don't use the crowsfoot texture, make it smooth and paint directly over the primed wall with your backdrop colors. If you are planning that, then it is even more important that the wall is smooth and straight without the bulges, or waves, or however you want to describe it. The horizontal tapered joint will be 4' off the floor instead of every 4' from top to bottom and will be better hidden. I'm sorry it sounds so confusing, I'm not smart enough to draw it out on the computer. Just visualize using sheetrock as bricks and create that same staggered pattern.

When are you planning on rocking and taping the room? It's not so far fetched for me to come down and help. I am scheduled to leave out of Freeport on a dive trip to the Flower Gardens for 4 days in April, if the scuba Gods line up, I might be able to add a couple of days and help you out. Beer and food go a long way!!
Cheers,
Richard

T & A Layout Build http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic...=46&t=7191

Messages In This Thread