WOOHOO! Good weather = time to build
Gary S Wrote:What are your thoughts on the 5/8" for the ceiling? In residential, I have only seen 1/2" for walls and ceiling.

As for the coves, I am looking forward to doing that. 3/8" in the corners and the masonite brings it out to 1/2" to match the straight walls.

I did see on one website that they recommended Liquid Nails on the ceiling joists, along with the screws or nails.

Gary, around here, I think that 5/8" for ceilings is mandatory.
I saw one site where they suggested the liquid nails, but only for the centres of the board (with no nails or screws) and nails or screws around the perimeter. I can't see any advantages - it eliminates some screws and the required finishing, but that's such a minor task that it's hardly worth the cost of the adhesive. If you use nails, you've got the dimple from the face of the hammer to fill: if you use screws, you've got only the screw to cover. This is another area where you see people glopping on the mud, then feathering it out like a thin pancake stuck to the wall (en francais, vee call zem zee crepes) Wink all around the area and likewise for screw heads. If the screws or nails are properly set, that immediate area is all that needs to be filled. Like so many things, some folks like to make them more difficult than they need to be. Misngth Misngth

Wayne

Messages In This Thread