WOOHOO! Good weather = time to build
TrainNut Wrote:I don't understand the significance of this statement?

Well, 98% of all residential electrical is done with nonmetallic sheathed cable aka romex. To do all pipe is a little overkill... very cool, but still overkill!

TrainNut Wrote:Also, how big is your main beam running down the ridgeline?

Here are a couple of photos showing how the beam was constructed. It is double 2x6s on the bottom at the ceiling level, and double 2x12s on the top, with 2x4 webbing. Again, way overkill for a building this size, but at least I know the next hurricane won't bring her down!

TrainNut Wrote:I was thinking,... what if you had to move later on. Would the next person along to buy your place be able to use this structure as a normal building... I mean, right now it's pretty specialized with the wiring and such. Is there anything you could do that you don't really need but would be beneficial towards thinking ahead to just such a scenario? A 220V line in case it's used as a workshop?

I was originally thinking along the same lines... had even considered framing the walls in a manner that a garage door could be installed later on, stuff like that. But then decided not to worry about it. The next owner can make whatever changes he desires if the time comes.

The panel will be 120/240 volts, and I have the spare pipes going into the attic, so it would be pretty simple to add extra outlets. There are outlet boxes every ten feet or so around the perimeter walls. I think the building would make a nice woodshop or such... maybe even a game room. Tear out the center wall, and you could put in a ping pong table and a pool table.

Edit: One of the good things about conduit is you can easily repull wire and change a 120 volt outlet to a 240 volt outlet.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times

Messages In This Thread