WOOHOO! Good weather = time to build
Tetters: So your house is face brick on the outside, and cmu block on the inside, then plaster? What is the total thickness of the walls? Must be a foot? Is there any insulation in the block, or foam type insualtion sheet anywhere?

Marty: In our existing attached 2 car garage, we will have a few days in the winter where the concrete floor gets wet from condensation. I think this is mostly when the weather has been cold, and then suddenly turns hot and humid. The cold slab will make the water vapor condense. But the garage really isn't sealed against the elements due to the garage doors. On the other hand, in the house, we lived on concrete floors for about 7 years (We had Tilson Homes build our "shell" and then we took our time finishing everything, thereby saving tons of money) and we never had any condensation on the concrete. So I'm pretty sure everything will be okay.

Andrew: Seems we have a mixture of milder climate down here, sometimes cold out, hot in, or hot out, cold in, and the compromise is not to use a vapor barrier. I'd like to witness the construction of a home up in Canada (brrrr cold!) just so I could see the pains taken on keeping everything insulated and sealed and vapor proof. I'm sure it is all much more complicated and tedious (and expensive) than what we do.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times

Messages In This Thread