Bourbon Whiskey Distillery
Larry;

Yep, trying to model the F&C from Frankfort to Georgetown and on to Paris would certainly be basement sized! I have an area in my basement that is 36 feet long by 14 feet wide and a there is also a bedroom size area off that about 14 feet by 12 feet and I don't see any way that I could model the complete F&C. The line between Frankfort and Georgetown did have all most all the "important" stuff on it and could probably be done, if you could layout the bench work so that that industry spurs branched off the main line in the correct direction. You'd just have to include the 185 foot high Bridge No. 3 on the line as it climbed the hill out of Frankfort! Major scenic feature!
[Image: bridge3.jpg]

Ken;

The blue/yellow paint scheme started appearing on L&N equipment around 1960/1961 (not 100% positive on the date). Doesn't appear to be many models of L&N equipment around (never has been as I recall), but that blue/yellow paint on some equipment would be fine from around 1961 on through the CSX takeover. Kadee has produced a model of one the L&N 50 foot cushioned underframe box cars that is perfect for case whiskey shipping:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.kadee.com/ca/50ps1/6322l.htm">http://www.kadee.com/ca/50ps1/6322l.htm</a><!-- m -->
I have one of those myself, but at $34.95 USD a piece, I don't plan on getting any more of them! Similar cars owned by other railroads were common around here too.
The 240,000 (full height ladders) and 241,000 (short ladders) ACF centerflow covered hoppers used by the L&N have been done in years past and are a simple paint job. I'm pretty sure that decals for L&N box cars, covered and open hoppers are readily available.

MountainMan;

Good photo of the front of the main distillery building at Old Taylor. I'm intimately familiar with both the Old Taylor and Old Crow distilleries too. From a modeling aspect, Old Taylor would probably be the more interesting one to model, as cars were spotted on several different tracks there. At Old Crow, there were two tracks side by side, each 1400 feet in length with a crossover about mid-point and everything was spotted for loading/unloading on these two tracks. Lot of switching involved to get everything spotted where needed though. Each distillery had its own unique track arrangements, and as I've mentioned, varied from a single track to several tracks.

Ed
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"

Messages In This Thread