Input on a "Temporary" Shelf Track Plan
I recently took down a layout that had been in place for a long time (298 Track Nails), and part of the new layout project was to move my workbench and install some shelving (Workspace Lighting).

Since I will be layout-less for awhile, I'm planning on laying some track on one of the shelves to keep myself entertained and to use as a future RIP track, but need some help on a design that is functional and makes sense.

Givens:
- Shelf is 8' long by ~7 3/4" wide
- Switch tails need to be about 18" to accommodate at least one locomotive and one car (Mikados or 0-6-0's, and 40' cars)

I will be using only #6 switches (recently procured a Fast Tracks fixture as part of the larger project capitalization <g>).

The initial design I came up are in the photo and diagram below. Thoughts?

Placement of turnouts

Plan. Sorry about the sizing - I'll crop and re-upload this tomorrow.<edit: white space cropped>
Notes:
Black lines represent turnouts - most are joined directly together. I suspect that when I build it, I'll be able to trim the ends of the turnouts somewhat to gain a few more inches.
The vertical dashed lines are 18" from the ends of the shelf (reference lines)
The shortest tails (left end of #3 track & right end of #1 track) are about 16". The longest is the left end of #1 at about 33". Others are just over two feet.

[Image: p182276653-4.jpg]

Thanks!
Matt Goodman
Columbus, Ohio

Messages In This Thread