Steam...
There is a Southern Pacific 4-6-2 that has been restored and is running in occasional excursion service. I just don't remember where, Northern California comes to mind; but I'm not sure. If you must have a model of a prototype used in excursion service in the Pacific Northwest, then the choice is easy. There are only 2 steam locomotives that fit the bill, either the 4449 Daylight or the SP&S 700. The U.P. 844 and Challenger may have operated over U.P. tracks at one time or another in the Pacific Northwest, but I don't know for sure. I don't know of any other steam engine that has run in any sort of excursion in the Pacific Northwest in the U.S. I know nothing about Canadian steam operating in BC. The Gs4 4449 is made by both Bachmann and MTH. the 700 is not offered in plastic as far as I know. I don't think you could run brass even if you found one at a reasonable price because the brass models I've seen make no compromises to run on small radius curves. I suspect that a 4-8-4 in brass would not even stay on the tracks trying to negotiate a 22 inch radius.

Someone mentioned a couple of pages back that the 4449 was repainted in BNSF colors for an employee special operating in the Northwest. Are you sure they didn't bring the 3751 North for that special? I'm not saying that the 4449 could not have been painted in BNSF colors. It is owned by the city of Portland, Oregon not the S.P. or the U.P. so any deal cut between Portland and the BNSF is possible.

Messages In This Thread