WOOHOO! Good weather = time to build
ocalicreek Wrote:Gary - are you using easements on any of your curves? Just heard a great clinic the other night on easements, and seeing your s curve before that bridge got me wondering. I gather that speeds on your layout won't be mainline speeds anyway, so it shouldn't matter too much. Just curious.

Galen, I put easements on the 90 degree curves and will also do that on the peninsula 180 degree curve. As an example, say I am doing a 90 degree curve with a 24" radius, I will first draw a 26" radius and then a 24" radius inside that, and connect the two curves together with a more gentle bend going into the curve. As for the other little jigs and jags, I don't put easements on those.

On those two offsets we are discussing in the photos - on the small S curve, there is about 2.5 car lengths between the curve, on the bigger one, about 6 car lengths. Still, I am considering going back and redoing that area, perhaps making the long bridge at an angle to the benchwork.

And, as you mention, speeds will be slow on this little shortline industrial railroad.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times

Messages In This Thread