A scratch built Cherry Valley 0-6-0
Dave Harris sctchbld Wrote:
nachoman Wrote:The basic procedure is to paint the model as usual, then place into an oven to harden the finish. Many things have baked on finishes, from appliances to cars. Something about baking the paint causes it to be harder and more durable. All paints won't work like this - but your typical laquer based paints (floquil) seem to work well.

I'm guessing here, but I think the idea of baking paint is to remove as mush of the thinning agents used in paint-- I remember reading that paint takes sometimes years to "cure" & gas off all the solvents . I'll bet that someone here will have the real scoop on this?

I think you are right on Dave. I suspect that baking is even more effective when you use water based acrylic paints. A friend of mine has been using Badger Model Flex and has found that it sometimes takes weeks to dry completely. He also found out the hard way that when the temps out here go below 70 degrees, the Badger doesn't want to harden at all. He models in plastic, so he can't bake anything.

Messages In This Thread