WOOHOO! Good weather = time to build
Gary S Wrote:Thanks for those comments Wayne. I like your idea of doing it all out of styrene. Awhile back I bought 3 - 4'x8' sheets of styrene in preparation for the "shoe-box" buildings, so I have plenty of that.

Considering that I have never done scenery, the bridge scene seems fairly straightforward. Do you guys think that ground foam would be okay for the grass or should I use static grass with the static applicator (possibly the DocWayne version)? For the murky water, should I just pour some plaster, paint it, and then put a clear coat on it, or use some of the "magic water" type stuff? Would I build the bridge at the workbench and then set it in place, or try to build it in place from the start?

Anyway, been a busy week at work so no time spent on the layout, but perhaps this weekend I can start on the scene. I'm really looking forward to giving it a whirl. And I'll keep it in mind that if it doesn't turn out as desired, WRECK IT OUT AND START OVER!!!!

Gary, I would DEFINITELY do ground foam with the static grass over that. NOTHING I have seen looks as good and as realistic as the static grass. I'd also use Envirotex or Woodland Scenics EZ-Water (I have had much success with both) and build the bridge in place, starting with the footings (bents) having built those on the workbench. I'd then assemble it all in place. But that is just *me*. You're mileage may vary.

If you decide to go the Woodland Scenics EZ Water method, it comes in pellets that the directions say to heat on a stove in a can and pour. Scrap that idea, it sucks. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. I have found it best to line the area I want to pour and surrounding areas with plaster cloth over the styrafoam, pour the pellets in, and then heat them to a melt with a Wagner heat gun (found at any hardware store's paint dept.) in one had while blowing hot air in one direction with a hair dryer in the other hand to make slight ripples on the surface. Make sure to prep, detail and paint the bottom and sides of the river or lake first. MUCH easier than melt and pour, this is melt in place, much more reliable.
Tom Carter
Railroad Training Services
Railroad Trainers & Consultants
Stockton, CA
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.railroadtrainingservices.com">http://www.railroadtrainingservices.com</a><!-- m -->
<!-- e --><a href="mailto:tomwcarter@railroadtrainingservices.com">tomwcarter@railroadtrainingservices.com</a><!-- e -->
[Image: gaugetraingifsigUP.gif]

Messages In This Thread