WOOHOO! Good weather = time to build
Hey biL!

In another thread, you had mentioned using foam. I like it alot, especially for doing an area like Houston - basically flat but alot of terrain features that go down instead of up. It is simple enough to cut the terrain features into the foam. As for tools, I use various kitchen knives, a box cutter, and a sheetrock saw for roughing in the terrain, then a stiff wire brush and a sanding block with 60 grit sandpaper for finishing. I also used my table saw to cut the triangle pieces I used for fill at the big bridge. For glueing the foam togehter, I use PL300 glue which works well. Here's a pic of the tools at another bayou crossing I am working on. I've made a good start on the left side.

The downfall of the foam is that it makes a huge mess. The little particles pile up quickly and are "staticky" in that they stick to everything. I'm going to have to do the major contouring on the entire layout before I do any actual scenery because the foam particles will get all over everything.

This photo shows the left side 80% complete and alot left to do on the right side. Nothing hard about the technique, except keep a big shop vac handy and vacuum frequently.

Here is a photo of the big bridge area - the basic foam terrain is completed.

Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times

Messages In This Thread