WOOHOO! Good weather = time to build
Gary S Wrote: ... I am somewhat considering hiring an artist to do the backdrop scenes... man... would y'all lose respect for me if I did that? ...

C'mon, Gary ... don't be ridiculous!

How many of us have built the 1:1 scale building or a rack-mount electrical control cabinet?

And ... what's the difference between pasting a pre-printed backdrop poster on your wall and hiring someone to paint an image directly on your wall? Besides, if you're paying the guy (or girl) you are going to get what you want, not some "near-um" approximation of what you want that you'd get with a poster!

The idea of projecting an image on the wall and using it as a guide is a good one ... and one that pros useall the time, I might add! [An opaque projector and an image projected on a sheet of cold-pressed Windsor-Newton water color paper taped to the wall, and lightly tracing objects with a 5H Kohinoor drafting lead in a lead holder .... mmmmmm ... brings back memories of doing assignments for an illustration class when I was a sophomore at Philadelphia College of Art.]

Theres no shame in either hiring someone who draws better than you do or tracing an image of the landscape you want and then applying the paint yourself. I wouldn't think less of you, either way! Have at it!

(Check out some of the "specialized" brushes if you decide to go that route ... fan brushes are a boon when you go to "indicate" trees!)
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln

Messages In This Thread