Penn Central
Herc Driver Wrote:If we traded out engines sometime during the trip, or if they hooked another diesel engine to the point prior to us pulling out of the station, I don't remember that sort of a delay, but it certainly could have happened. We traveled at a pretty fast rate of speed and had very few stops along the trip. I'd have to do a lot of checking to determine if Amtrak used a GG1 on any part of the NYC to Boston route in the very early 70's, or if my memory is totally and completely wrong...but I really remember seeing a GG-1 connected to the train we boarded. Misngth

No, its totally reasonable to see GG1s up in New Haven territory (in later years, i think E60s became more common on that end). however, the wire ended at New Haven, and Either an F40PH or an E8A took you the rest of the way to boston.

I have a book called "Amtrak Annual 1978-1979" that lists ALL amtrak trains in those years across the country, the power on the train, and which cars are on the train. Since you were on a GG1 pulled train, there is a good chance an E8A pulled you the rest of the way.

Quote:I didn't expect to get a good history education about Penn Central on this thread - but it sure is great to read all the information! I can't understand the animosity towards Penn Central though...being a kid spending some years in NY state and NJ, it was common to see PC all over and I didn't really think much about it.

There is a lot of political animosity, because Penn Central was the original "government Bailout", costing millions a day in tax payer money to keep running. In addition, It "blacked out" and eliminated many historic railroads that people loved, and ushered in an age of poor service, and horrific lack of maintenance. Even within the company, the PC was tearing itself apart with "red team Green Team" antics. these are just some issues.

I think these days, many of us young people treat it as a joke, but Sadly that also means little in the way of Penn Central survives, and i can't think of any Penn Central pieces in a museum (maybe one of these surviving GG1s should keep its worm logo....)
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread