Norfolk Southern are painted black...but which one?
I took the original factory paint off with 91% Isopropyl alcohol and it worked well...and it will probably work on this engine again.

Overall, and the more I look at it compared to the other engines I have, it's overly glossy. So I might try to sand and respray the entire shell with a Tamiya black and if it doesn't cover and look right, strip the whole thing again. I like the "new engine shine" of Norfolk Southern diesels when they're first produced, so I wanted to capture that look on one engine...but by impatience...will have to wait till warmer temps to work on this again. (We've got snow falling now and it's about 20F degrees...and I'm guessing it's a bit too cold to be spray painting in the garage.)

Using a crystal coat lacquer is a good idea. I know the Tamiya black is a good color to use as the basic black (I've used it before on the other GP30 high hood, as well as other projects). So going with a lacquer over the black would produce a better result.

While I'm waiting for a warmer day (possibly later this week after the snow melts) maybe figuring out how to make an E44 would be a good "next project". I really like the look of those E44's on G.E.C.'s layout! Feel free to post more pictures of them...they're sure great to look at. (I've got both the Amtrak and PC black GG-1's from Kato on the way now...so an E44 sure would fit in well.)
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)

Messages In This Thread