Turnouts on our new layout
Russ Bellinis Wrote:If you aren't familiar with Model Railroad Hobbyist Magazine, check it out at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com">http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com</a><!-- m --> The magazine is free. Look at the first issue. When you are on the home page there are a bunch of tabs at the top of the page. If you put your curser over the tab marked "MAGAZINE" you will get a drop down menu. Click on "BACK ISSUES" and open the January. On page 5 is the table of contents and there is an article beginning on page 45 titled "Powerful new curve insights for any scale." It is illustrated with a lot of photos showing how various lengths of rolling stock work on various curves. If after reading the article and looking at the pics of various cars on the different radii, you are sure that you want to run short enough equipment to use an 18 inch radius, go for it. But the pictures will tell you exactly what the short comings are with such a tight radius.

Thanks for the heads up Russ. Awesome article. Didn't know that site existed so that's in the "favorite's" column now. Almost everything we have for rolling stock (300+) are either 40' or 50'. All have Kaydee couplers on them but some still have the plastic wheels which we are slowly converting. We had decided to run the 40's on the 18" and the 50's on the 22" but my sons and I are now talking about putting a "dogbone" style end on the layout to make the corners a little more gradual. Nothing major on the "dogbone" but something that will ease the turning and not effect the future installation of our steel mill. (That's like Phase #6 so it's a ways down the road.)

I greatly appreciate all the help and input you guys have given. Thanks for steering this newbie in the right direction. You guys rock!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rob - Modeling the B&O & C&O into Chessie System in the Toledo, Ohio area in the late 60's - early 70's

Messages In This Thread