Letting Off Steam- No Pun intended
Hi Green _Elite_Cab;

Ive just read through your thread and I thought I would offer up some of my 46 years of life experience.

I think you are very fortunate to have found "your niche" in A; Model Railroading and B Electrified Catenary and to have found that at 21 makes you one lucky guy.

Remember that Railroading, Railfanning and Model Railroading are broad churches to say the least and while certain parts may not be to your interest, you can always find something or some technique that you can learn from others within this broad church. Look for the connections you have with others rather than the differences.

I didnt find my niche until about three years ago and I literally stumbled into it, and the internet is a big part of how it happened. Briefly. I bought some Bachmann trains sets so my son and I could play trains together, then I bought a Bachmann layout book and got interested in the Timesaver layout. For the hell of it I Googled Timesaver and learnt more about it and then found a website on switching layouts and checked out a prototype called the Effingham Railroad in Effingham Illinois.

Bingo. It had my favourite type of switching loco [SW1200], a rail served warehouse with a through track inside, a concrete plant supply facility for my building trade knowledge and interest and best of all a Krispy Kreme plant, all on a shortline only 4 miles long. I call it the Homer Simpson of shortlines and I knew that I had found just the prototype for me to research and model. It is modern era to say the least as it only started up in 1999 and the Krispy Kreme era runs from 2002 to 2007.

Now I want you to consider how small of a niche I occupy, yet there are guys here who can appreciate why I am modelling the EFRR, donuts do play a part in that, hehehehe, and I can appreciate their interests.

Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More

Messages In This Thread