It wouldn't be the gauge without:
eightyeightfan1 Wrote:Here's my take on it.
The old logo was original. If you remember, when the Gauge changed hands, and became Zealot, the old Gauge logo was no where to be seen..Anywhere!
When CG bought Zealot, the old logo was not revised, nor do I think CG even knew there was one, or cared. That put the old logo in limbo, and lost to time.
I remember when the UP tried to trademark all the railroads they gobbled up, because model manufacturers were still selling schemes in Western Pacific, Southern Pacific, C&NW, ect..ect..and the UP wanted royallties. The courts said that they couldn't trademark a logo, from something that no longer exsisted, and that they had to of trademarked the logos under UP ownership during the takeovers. They never did.
Thats why they have six SD70's painted in railroads they took over. If anything, the UP can only receive royalties if someone does a model of a SD70 in their "Heritage Fleet" schemes.
I think the old logo falls under that ruling.
They didn't abandon it, the logo is still there if you use this URL to get there:http://www.zealot.com/index.php?page=the-gauge.com, you will see it. And, believe it or not, Mikey and I were insistent that they keep it there and that we have what I call, "the-Gauge portal". Their contract with Peter includes the_guage.com domain, and name registrations. Here's an excerpt from their agreement:
Quote:The purchase included software, data and programming code, user lists, databases, domain names and name registrations, goodwill, and the rights to enforce future infringement. The websites include: zealot.com, the-gauge.com, cardmodels.net, rcdrifter.com, and rcwebboard.com.
Note "the right to enforce future infringement". That's why we are not using the old logo and that's why we're avoiding calling ourselves "the Gauge", because even though it isn't registered, they might just want to harass us into thinking they have possession by prior use. It's not worth the trouble. Besides, as I remember, there was one point in time when we were still the Gauge, that we were talking abour redesigning the logo. it never went anywhere.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD

Messages In This Thread