Big Steel! Update Feb 15/09
eightyeightfan1 Wrote:I had to go back and read the thread Val.
Who makes the bridge crane?

Walthers. And it's on sale for $40 - regular price $65. Not bad. Smile

doctorwayne Wrote:Looks good, Val. Thumbsup Does the trolley move within the bridge? You need some iron ore in that bucket - that'll straighten out those threads! Misngth

Wayne

Thanks Wayne! Yes, the trolley does move - at least you can position it where you want it.

That's a great idea to fill the bucket with ore. Too bad Great Northern Sand & Gravel has disappeared. They sell all that stuff, or used to. I've got crushed coal slag but alas, no iron ore.

Trucklover Wrote:Val awesome job on the build, it looks great!! Ill be curious to see if and how you replace the threads, i know of a couple models of my own that i would like to replace the threads....

Thanks Josh! I plan to replace them with very thin gauge brass or copper wire. The trick is to get them exactly the same length. I will remove the trolley assembly so I can drill holes in the hoisting drums. That should do it.

Ralph Wrote:That's a fantastic kit Val! Nice, nice work!!!

"With the exception of locos, I never paint anything on my layout black. It's always brown, which seems to represent a light patina of rust and exposure."

That's a handy tip Val. Thanks!

Ralph

Many thanks Ralph! I'm so glad the CEO of Kingsport Steel doesn't mind having a new competitor. Smile

I'm really glad you guys are so interested in this project. I am going to keep adding and updating this thread as I go, and that way, whenever anyone else wants to add a steel mill, they will be able to refer to this thread, if only to see what not to do! Misngth

cheers
Val

Messages In This Thread