Selective Compression
This is something that's been done in model railroading for as long as I can remember. Track not running parallel to the edge of the bench work where practical and/or introducing broad sweeping curves where the track would otherwise be straight; street/road crossings run at an angle to the track; structures (industrial or otherwise) placed at angles to the track; using mirrors to add depth or make a track appear to be longer than it really is; and of course only modeling a portion of a structure; the list goes on.

I've also seen mention of a "rule of thumb" for reducing the size of structures/tracks, but can't recall what it is supposed to be right now. Perhaps if the prototype industry spots 5 cars, then the model can be compressed to spot 3 without losing too much of its character. If a prototype track has the capacity of 20 cars on the prototype, then reduce it to maybe 25% on the layout.

I've planned, at one time or another, to include structures on my switching layout, that even after compressing them end up being 48-60 inches in length. Real space eaters, but they don't overwhelm the entire layout since I have a fair amount of length to work with. If I had less space, then I'd have to look for prototypes that would be what I term "model railroad size". In other words, industries that only spot one or two cars at any one time; and they are out there.

I'm sure open to thoughts or ideas for a simple way to selectively compress track/structures, without the track or structure looking too small to justify rail service.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"

Messages In This Thread