Acceptable grades
lajry Wrote:Dividing 10" by 180"(15') gives you an 8.33% grade. So that is a very steep grade. But the narrow gauge Uinta Ry had 7.5% grades w/ 85 degree curves & ran 2-6-6-2s thru that! So it depends on your prototype. Santa Fe's Cajon pass has a 3% grade on one track but mostly runs trains down grade.
OK The grade I quoted as 6% is probably the same one ( 7.5% Eek ), and I did forget about the tight curves !!
The angular size ( degree ) of a curve is the angle formed by two lines drawn from the center of the curve, to the points where where a 100' chord, intersects the curve center-line.
An HO scale 18" radius curve, is a scale 45 degree curve.
An 85 Degree curve would have an approximate radius of 75' !!. In HO scale that would be 10-3/8" Eek

My N scale 2-8-0 can operate down to about a 9" radius comfortably, My HOn3 Brass 2-8-2, "complains" about an 18" radius curve, My HOn3 2-6-6-2 T's ( SVRY 251, and 250 ) might handle a 15" radius curve, but they would also be "complaining" about it. In HO scale 15" rad. = a 66 Degree curve.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!

Messages In This Thread