Big Steel! Update Feb 15/09
Okay, just so you don't all think I've been slacking, here's a few progress shots of the benzol plant. I can't believe how long this is taking!!

But I finally tackled scratchbuilding the platform that holds the agitator. This is part of the process of separating the benzol and other by-products from the coke gas.

Here's the start of the platform. I used Evergreen styrene I-beams and angle iron to make the supports. This is the only shot I have of the beginning construction.

[Image: benzol_parts1.jpg]

A few days later I had the platforms made and tackled the stairs and railings. For the actual agitator I used a Walthers surge bin kit I had been planning to use for something else, and just sized the platform to fit it.

From the front:

[Image: benzol_6.jpg]

And from the back:

[Image: benzol_7.jpg]

The platform is very fragile so before I added the stairs I glued it to the base. Then I realized that there should be concrete footings, :oops: but I came up with a cute little trick to fix that problem. I cut 4 sections of 1/4" styrene tubing about 1/8" high, then made a slit thru each one so I could slip them around the supports at ground level, like little collars. I filled this with white putty, and once they're painted I think they will look like round concrete footings. I hope so anyway!!!

Next will be to connect up the pipes, and build the light oil condensers which will sit on top of the other platform.

Well, that's it for now. I hope you like it! Big Grin

cheers
Val

Messages In This Thread