Small Rail-Served Stone/Aggregate Industry
No one has mentioned the Trackmobile?

At first I was puzzled as to why they had a trackmobile when there is a nice big front end loader available to move the hopper cars along as they are filled.

Here is my theory; If the trackmobile was not there then someone would have to walk along the hoppers to set and release the some of the hand brakes multiple times during the loading process. Dangerous and time consuming. Far better to have the trackmobile coupled up and providing the motive power and braking, plus the operator is in the cab safely clear of the front end loader. In this case time and motion and health and safety both win by using the trackmobile or some other small locomotive. The trackmobile could even be set up for remote control so that the operator of the loader can control it from his cab when he needs it to move the cut of hoppers along during loading.

As an example the railroad I follow, the Effingham Rail Road, uses its SW1200, EFRR 2716 remotely during aggregate unloading operations at its client Mid-Illinois Concrete, so having the trackmobile set up for remote operations is an option in this day and age.

It gives us modellers the chance to legitimately use a trackmobile, small locomotive or critter in an easily modelled scene.

Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More

Messages In This Thread