Are you addicted to your cell phone
BR60103 Wrote:The only people that know we have text facility are the telephone company. They send us notes when we alter the service and surveys asking how they did. But we don't know how to send text or respond to the surveys.

depending on your phone type, texting can be easy, or impossible torture. Older phones without a dedicated keyboard often require you to hit the number that corresponds to the letter you want several times until that letter appears, and then you have to wait a moment if you want to follow up with the same letter. if you move to fast, you can find yourself cycling through about a million times.

These kinds of phones make texting annoying, and its easy to see why people adopted "text speak"; its not so much careless english as it is a practical way to communicate given the limited number of "characters" available, and the unnecessary time wasted fidgeting with the phone.

However, with the advent of "keyboarded" phones, this is really not a proble anymore, and may phones automatically send multiple texts to accomadate a long message if necessary. Most phones are also pretty intuitive. It will plainly state "send" on the phone, either on the screen, or on the button itself.

Personally, I only use texts to send short messages like "I will be late" or "i'm on the 5:30 train", not for ongoing conversations. in this role, texting is useful because its faster to send that message as a text than call the person, wait for them to pick up, only to tell them this quick message, say goodbye to them, and hang up. If it can't be answered in 2-3 texts, it warrants a phone call.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread