Red lights at older steam engines - how to model?
I agree with jwb, just add them!! It makes the engine look good. Smile Smile As far as the 1223, I helped clean and light the marker and classification lights..

You'll notice that the 3 colors of the glass are Blue, Red and Yellow, there are also clear ones.

The reason is that the steam engines used kerosene to light the lights. Now - think back to grade school...... Kerosene burns Yellow....

Blue + Yellow makes Green
Red + Yellow makes Orange (Classification and also second engine in a doubleheader)
Yellow + Yellow makes Bright Yellow (Classification)

The light housings are all rotatable to show the "colors" either forward, reverse or both directions (Per PRR Rules). They are cast iron too - Heavy!!!! ...and when you're standing along side the boiler, holding on with one hand, I can't imagine the noise and the frustration of turning the lights at night in the rain. Eek

I did it when she was in the location, in the above picture and it was just a "bit" unnerving.. But it was SO COOL!!!!!! and I got bragging rights too!!!!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

I had to lift off the covers, hand them down off the engine, remove the lenses, carefully take them to our shop and clean them all off... The other guy was checking the wiring and replacing the lights and then I came back and reset the lenses and he handed them back up to me, so I could replace them... Both of us climbing all around the old girl Smile Smile Smile

If you look at the top lights in the picture, you'll notice they are white. The bulbs are white. I put in a suggestion that they buy yellow bug lights to put in, so the colors would be authentic. As of my last visit, last Summer, the bulbs are still white Sad Sad Sad
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???

Messages In This Thread