Eagle Project Caboose threatened, needs parts to move!
Sorry for the delay, with the Forum being down, I wasn't able to get back to this.

In any event, it seems that this brass issue is going to be trouble. There is one guy that I was put in touch with through Facebook, he might be able to help, but I haven't heard back from him yet.

I got an E-mail from the current purchaser of the caboose, and he reported asking the New Jersey Museum of Transportation, though it doesn't sound like he had much luck. I relayed the information regarding the use of Oak blocks (this seems to be the common suggestion).

I asked him if he had more specific knowledge on the brasses. Unfortunately, the area is still technically off limits, and it will be some time before anyone could be technically allowed to go back an inspect the caboose.

That said, I don't think it is well enforced, as the rails-to-trails path has a constant stream of local families and joggers who apparently didn't hear the path was closed. I live much closer and I think I could take a long walk in the woods and have a look without attracting attention.

I suspect the Oak blocks might complicate things, and this is why borrowing the brass seems to be the preferred plan. The section of track that the caboose has been "Okayed" for storage, is heavily over grown (lots of trees), and there seems to be a creek nearby on one side. One of the things I was asked to do was to inspect the line and look for a place to unload it. I'm not going to be able to do that until my Masters Thesis paper is turned in, so I can't currently say how far the caboose needs to be rolled.

There appears to be a bombed out CNJ coach and an old hopper parked there already.

I'm not sure at what distance it would be practical to roll a car on oak blocks. I figure if we took it slow, it might be OK.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread