L&M Rocky Mountain Pass
For the roads I'm venturing into many different methods ,what you see on previous post were just plaster paint brushed on to make the general contour but now I'm really trying out different methods. I've tried adding sifted baseball diamond sand and cementing it with water/glue mix this gives a good base then I've tried in different areas with first brushing the width of the road with laytest paint then sifting the same sand and adding several more layers of the same paint and sand but I'm finding it to course looking unless you go along with your finger to break up the top layer , this looks good. Now I've tried one other top layer which is take the same sifted sand and now put it in a yogurt style plastic container with a panty hose screen ( hope the wife doesn't read this) and shaking this on the paint layer.

Here's some pics I took as I went along
My paint is just some white paint I had left over and I added some brown dollar store paint to give it an earth tone color
[Image: 171om2.jpg]

This is how I sifted the gravel for the finer sifter
[Image: 2bpr2.jpg]

The sifter with panty hose screen
[Image: 2ws0.jpg]

This is how the road looked after the previous coat I gave of paint and sand well at least the road on opposite side of bridge
[Image: 8ny8.jpg]

the opposite side of bridge I just painted on wide enough for road and shook on the roadway with sifter
[Image: 4hn0.jpg]

Using the shaker to add the dirt it comes out more like a dust then anything heavy
[Image: 5oj2.jpg]

I then give the fresh roadway some ruts with the wooden end of a small paint brush
[Image: 6fo9.jpg]

I finish by giving the raod another layer this fills in the ruts
[Image: 7tb4.jpg]

Here's a couple more wooden bridges in place obviously I still got some scenery work to to around them but at least there in LOL.I may do a bit of weathering on them with some bragdon chalks.
I've been plugging away at my Campbells Barrel Factory so of course there's not enough time in the day for working on the rest of the layout, errrrrr that and I have to go out and make a living.
[Image: img1223tq3.jpg]

[Image: img1224wj3.jpg]
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada

Messages In This Thread