Lest We Forget
The US once had a section that wanted to seperate itself from the rest of the nation, and did. It was the CSA, the Confederate States of America. The United States government wasn't going to stand for this, and rightly so. After much political debate and bickering the southern states let their cannon do their talking for them, at Ft. Sumpter. After nearly 5 years of unrelenting war, the south was defeated, but at a terrible price. Was it worth it? Yes. Had the union remained divided, the US would not be the nation it is today. Ancestors of mine, both European immigrants and Native Americans alike, fought on both sides. Many were killed. They died fighting for what they believed in. Some fought for the Union, some for the Confederacy. Today, it doesn't matter what side they were on, except to the historians. They are all veterans, Union and Confederate alike, they are remembered as American veterans, and that is how I will remember them on Memorial Day. As American veterans who died for their country, to defend the rights and beliefs that were important to them, to defend their homeland, their freedom and their way of life. As you look around at all that you have, at your family, your home, I ask you, what is more important than that?
15 year veteran fire fighter
Collector of Apple //e's

Beatus homo qui invenit sapientiam

Messages In This Thread