Railfanning Union Pacific
Herc Driver Wrote:I'm new to the railfanning aspect of this hobby...so forgive the very "newbie" question.

First, does UP ever allow the DD40X to go to the east coast, or does the tighter track radius turns and lower overpasses prevent operations in the east? I ask, because I've only seen pictures of this engine, and never more east of Illinois.

Secondly, is there a way to know when this engine moves from place to place? Is there a set schedule when it moves? I fly all over the country and knowing where it might be sitting on any given day would sure help me actually see this engine in person.

Thanks guys!
Herc, If you fly into the Los Angeles area and can get out to Pomona to the Los Angeles County Fairgrounds, there is a railroad display in one corner of the grounds. They have quite a few large locomotives there. The display includes a DD40x as well as a Big Boy, Challenger, and 2-12-4 from U.P. The also have a 4-8-4, and I think a 4-6-4 from Santa Fe. I think there may be a 2-10-2 and a 2-10-4 from the Santa Fe as well. I think there might be a Southern Pacific Cab Forward there as well, but I don't remember for sure. If you fly into the Sacramento area, you need to check out the California State Railroad Museum in Old Sacramento.

Messages In This Thread