Traction Tires for Diesels and Electrics?
MasonJar Wrote:You might be further ahead to properly weight the loco, than changing out wheels to get one(s) with traction tires. Balancing (added) weight is especially important in steamers, but extra weight can improve the pull of diesels as Tom attests, above.

Andrew

Again, the reason i'm looking at traction tires is because there is no more provisions to add more weight. I'd like to see anyone make an Atlas AEM7 heavier. The only open areas are the cabs of the locomotive. IF it were DC, i could have filled in the decoder slots, but only run DCC these days, so i'm out of luck.

The E60 could be made heavier, but it will be hard, since the only open space is prett much along the sides of the drive train, and i'm not sure where or how i can add more weight the the models.

I really don't think extra weight is going to help my Challenger either. that thing already weighs a ton. I'm not sure how i can add more weight to make it pull better. In fact, i might wager that adding weight to some of these locomotives will make it worse.

Catt Wrote:might try this stuff http://www.amazon.com/BULLFROG-SNOT-Univ...001NG2ECC/

A creative alternative, and probably the best i've seen! In the case of the AEM7/ALP44s, it would be difficult to find the right tires for thier unique wheels.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread