Distance compression (signals, signs)
tetters Wrote:I would say a 3 - 6 inches can equal half a mile. Which probably explains why I miscalculate distances all the time when giving directions... Confusedhock:

Not to sound contradictory, but this is probably only the case for basement-sized HO empires if used on a somewhat realistic basis. 3-6 inches, even in N scale, isn't much more than a couple car lengths or the size of a large steam engine.

My own train of thought ( Misngth ) is along the same lines as Sumpter. You are trying to emulate getting from Point A to Point B. In some cases, this can be trying to simulate 100 yards or 100 miles. This is why things such as view blocks are so important for realistic modeling. It gives the impression that a distance has been traveled. Even on the same layout, this can mean different lengths. We are essentially modeling points of interest, and placing them next to each other, while trying to maintain a sense of realism that transcends both time and space.

In reference to signage along the right of way, it is important to somehow note that you have left Point A and are arriving at Point B. The distance between the two points, ideally, would not be a straight line. For operations purposes, to make this more believable, it would be better to perhaps run the train around to give the impression that a distance has been traveled. Or, make a stop at Point C further down the line first, then return back to Point B.
Tony

Messages In This Thread