Distance compression (signals, signs)
dave1905 Wrote:For get about compressing distance for signs and signals. Won't work at all, there is too much compression.

Instead work with "train lengths" for signs and signals. Space signals (other than those a a fixed location such as a CP) about a train length apart and put signage a train length (or half a train length) before the thing the sign warns of.

One train length between sidings is a good minimum, that way a train isn't in two stations at once. Two train lengths between stations is better because trains working at adjacent stations won't bump into each other. The prototype has typically has between 8 and 20 train lengths between sidings (or crossovers on two main tracks).

Compressing distance, which is forced on most of us, works fine if there's only one train running (a single operator), or when multiple operators are restricted to operations in separate areas.
My railroad is currently "dark", although I may add train order semaphores at a future date. These would effectively divide the layout into three subdivisions, which was part of the original operational design, and would allow for three operators to work each sub independently (if I revise the wiring - at present, the entire layout is a single block). Wink Misngth
That would place two towns (almost immediately adjacent to one another) and two staging yards within one sub, three towns (two immediately adjacent to one another) and a staging track (interchange) in another, and three towns, all well-separated, plus a staging yard and an interchange in the third sub. Of course, operations would be confined to local switching and train make-up.
As I usually operate solo, though, a fully-signalled line would be mostly for scenic effect.
Signs, however, can be useful in increasing distance and/or time. While many of my signs are "just for show", such as flanger and plow wing warning signs (the chevron-style sign, beyond the speed limit signs):
[Image: 100_5680.jpg]

...or whistle posts:
[Image: Foe-toesfromfirstcd093.jpg]

...signs such as this one:
[Image: 100_5543.jpg]

denote a "Restricted" track - in this case, as outlined in the employee timetable/rule book, one where certain cars or locomotives are restricted from passing the "R" sign due to limited clearances. For this situation, an idler car may be required in order to spot or retrieve cars from this siding. Other "restricted" moves include plows through station platform tracks or other areas where clearances are insufficient. These restrictions can help to increase the time needed to switch an area (need to find a low car to use as an idler, or re-route moves to more suitable tracks).

Another type of sign useful for increasing running times (and therefore the perception of distance) is the speed limit sign:
[Image: freshfoe-toes006.jpg]

In this case, the "RS" denotes "Resume Speed" after a previous restriction, while the upper number is for passenger trains, the lower one for freights.
While I haven't yet installed them, I plan to create three or four "speed traps": basically a measured distance demarcated by "START" and "END" signs, over which an operator can "time" his train, then consult a chart to determine train speed through the trap. The railroad cops won't be handing out tickets, but repeated use should accustom operators to what a particular speed would look like, thereby enhancing operations.

Here's another speed limit sign, without the "RS"
[Image: 2007-01-10037.jpg]

- on some tracks, there is only one speed shown, which applies to both freight and passenger trains. The small "C" sign, shown above, is a "CLEAR" sign to signal to plow and flanger operators that they have cleared a number of restrictions (in this case the bridge at left - flangers would have had to raise their blade to clear the bridge's guardrails, while plow operators would have retracted their wing blades to clear the bridge superstructure).

Sign on another railroad, but the same interpretation. In this case, because of tight curves and clearances, passenger train speeds are lower than those for freight:
[Image: Foe-toesfromTrainBrainsecondcd070.jpg]

The flanger sign also visible in the photo above requires the flanger blade to be raised for the next crossing (the vertical board with a single yellow stripe) and the plow's left wing to be retracted for clearance past the elevated crossing shanty (the single half-chevron with one yellow stripe. Such signs with two stripes denote multiple similar obstacles, which will be followed by a "C" (CLEAR) sign after all such obstacles have been passed.)

Wayne

Messages In This Thread