WOOHOO! Good weather = time to build
Another day, and feeling beat again. But the spirit is willing and I will be back at it tomorrow. Weather forecast looks promising. Clear on monday, 30% chance of rain on tuesday, 20% chance on wednesday, then thursday and friday are clear. I really want to get at least the tarpaper down on the roof before it rains.

This is from around 11am today. Those are 4x6 posts supporting the center beam. I'm not sure whether the center wall is going to be full height or not, so that is one reason I am building the post/beam down the center.

Here are my wife and daughter shuttling boards.

Yours truly putting in some screws. So far, there is not a single nail in the entire thing. Everything is screwed together with various lengths of sheetrock or deck screws. Dang, I look kinda chubby!

Am I a beautiful specimen, or what? The building construction is a little different than what is normally done. I'm probably going a little overkill, but I have to make sure this thing will withstand a hurricane, considering the proximity to the Gulf Coast. Plus, I wanted to use only boards of lengths that I could carry in a pick-up and install by myself. And don't even mention the OSHA rule about not standing on the top of a ladder.

My wife and daughter. Wife is marking the top plates for the ceiling joists. Daughter looks like she is clowning around?

Another view of the center beam under construction:

Overall view. The pic makes it look like the thing is leaning. It isn't! Smile

Ceiling joists. About half of them are in. I am pleasantly surprised how straight and level everything is.

And one last shot. Still have to complete the ridge board at the top. 2x12s leftover from the form for the foundation. Heavy, and they have to go all the way up to the top. You can see one of them already installed on the left top.

There ya go. I'll be back at it first thing in the morning.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times

Messages In This Thread