WOOHOO! Good weather = time to build
Progress Update:

Took me a day and a half to cut the rafters to length, install the lookouts, and put on the subfascia. I never would have thought it would take so long. Of course, working by myself added to the time required. Up and down the ladder a thousand times. Installing "cripples" to hold up the end of a long board while worked on the other end. All that kind of stuff. But anyway, it is ready for the roof deck!

30% chance of rain tomorrow. We'll see what happens.

Yesterday, I cut all the rafter ends off. At first, I was working off a ladder, dragging it through the mud, then I climb on it and the legs would sink, ugh, it was taking forever. Then I finally "smarted up," realizing that I had a lot of work to do at the sub-fascia level. So, I built some staging that I could walk on and do the work. Sped me up tremendously.

Here is the sub-fascia in progress.

Lookouts installed which will support the subfascia up the rakes.

Here are the girls giving me a Christmas present. They carried 43 sheets of plywood out to the building, a sheet at a time. They decided to just carry it instead of using the wheelbarrow.

And here it is ready for the roof deck.

I also put in 3/8 threaded rods, washers, nuts through the beam/post connections. Then I changed out all the little drywall screws I had used in the joist hangers. Replaced them with beefier deck screws. I'm glad we had the "nail versus screw" discussion here, because when I was removing the drywall screws, about 5% were broken, or the head broke off when I was taking them out! Here is the drywall screw and the replacement:

Wish me some good weather for tomorrow. Talk to y'all later!
Gary
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times

Messages In This Thread