WOOHOO! Good weather = time to build
doctorwayne Wrote:If you're planning on insulating the ceiling, don't forget to use a vapour barrier before you install the drywall on the ceiling, and the same goes for the walls. Also, if you want your attic insulation to give you the maximum benefit, don't forget to provide ample ventilation in your soffit and an equal capacity at or near the ridge - it's better to have too much rather than not enough.

EDIT----- see next post!

Down here in the south, it seems typical to either use that sprayed on cellulose stuff in the walls, or they use fiberglass batting that is completely enclosed in plastic, sort of like a pillow in a pillowcase. I'll do the latter I think. I haven't seen anyone actually stretch a big piece of plastic across the studs. How is it typically done up north? They actually stretch a big sheet of vapor barrier on the inside and staple it to the studs before the sheetrock goes on?

For the soffit vents, I will use the pre-vented hardiplank soffit sheets. Have you seen those? I'm not using a ridge vent per se, although that is what is on my house. I'm planning on using a powered vent fan near the ridge line. I'll have to check the manufacturer's info and see just how much attic space the fan is designed for to make sure I have enough.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times

Messages In This Thread