Steam loco operation
Quote:The DM&IR operated 0-10-2s, 2-10-2s, and 2-8-8-4s until 1963.
I know they rostered steam into 1963, but I don't think it operated past 1960. UP also had steam stored but still on roster until 1963, though they last used it in 1959. CP had steam stored until 1965, but last used it in 1960, excluding use as stationary boilers for coach yard heating into 1961.

For the US, 1956 does seem to have been the last big year. It seems almost all remaining steam-hauled mainline passenger trains were dieselized in 56-57. Certainly, a number of roads did maintain steam past 1957, but most were clearly remnants - only the newest freight power, or only switchers, or... In Canada, whereas, both big roads maintained most of their wheel arrangements on switching, freight and passenger services into 1960.

A shortline in either country might have steam past 1960, but if that's your basis, I wouldn't expect to see steam and diesels together. Most shortlines, whether they dieselized early or late, did so very quickly - a couple years, if not a few months, from first diesel to last steam.

What diesels and rolling stock do you want to run with steam?
Fan of late and early Conrail... also 40s-50s PRR, 70s ATSF, BN and SP, 70s-80s eastern CN, pre-merger-era UP, heavy electric operations in general, dieselized narrow gauge, era 3/4 DB and DR, EFVM and Brazilian railroads in general... too many to list!

Messages In This Thread