Steam loco operation
railroader9731 Wrote:As many know the transiton was made in the 50's from steam to diesel. As i press on with the operation of our M&J ry i would like to keep near prototype time line as i want to make the line as i try to make a beleaveable story. So my qestion is this what would be the latest date for steam to mingle with diesel?

Getting back to your original post and question...

It seems you are wanting to "proto-freelance" your own railroad, the M&J, but are wanting to be as historically accurate as possible. For my own road, I chose to model 1953. This still allows me to reasonably run steam on my rails, yet also provides access to the early diesel that I like. Specifically, GP-7s, RS-2s and TrainMasters. You need to take the same steps I did when deciding your time line:

1) Modeling the transition era, you're narrowing things down to a 10 year time frame, 1950-1960.
2) Figure out which locos were built during that period, and which ones you like.
3) Find the availability of those locos in the scale you are modeling.

Since you're freelancing, this shouldn't be a problem as most locos are offered as undecorated. The transition era is also a very popular period for modeling, so just about every engine will be available to you.
Tony

Messages In This Thread