Athearn boat...variations on a theme
or, "some boats".
In this first pic, four boats, bashed from the standard Athearn flatcar load/ "four to a box", boat, and one standard Athearn boat. From left to right.....the 42' cabin cruiser, built full hull, as a car load, or in a "boatyard" setting. "Sinbad", a 40' bash, and the first of the "variations". It hasn't been off the module, since it was put there almost 20 years ago. Next, the latest project, a 36' cabin cruiser, along the same design as the 42. ( I got tired of shingles ). Fourth in line, the standard Athearn boat. and at the far right, the Lindy L, a 28' variation, built from the "leftovers" of the Sinbad project.

Here, a port bow shot of the five.

The standard Athearn

Port bow close-up of the Sinbad.

Port bow close-up of the Lindy L.

Lindy L, port quarter shot

Port quarter shot of the Sinbad.

Stern shot of the five.

Stern shot of Sinbad, with the new boat to the left, and the 42' to the right. The newest boat is one scale foot wider than the rest. The stock Athearn's beam is OK for a 32' boat, but a bit narrow for anything longer. I did the Sinbad, a long time ago, and I wasn't too worried about the narrow beam. When I did the 42', I regretted not widening the hull. The newest boat, at 36', got the wider beam, and I'm pleased with its appearance. The 36 footer is about the largest that can get into the boathouse ( The 38' boat from GCLaser just fits lengthwise, the 36' just fits with overhead clearance )

We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!

Messages In This Thread