Steam...
I wouldn't suggest running a 4-8-4 on 22" radius, you can do it but it looks stupid..

You're asking for too much..frankly. The small steam that probably wouldn't be seen on the mainline is generic and doesn't represent any of the prototypes you mentioned. (like the Roundhouse 2-6-0 2-8-0 or 4-4-0 although they have sound)

All of the Bachmann models either represent a Ma&Pa prototype (4-4-0,4-6-0), follow Harriman road (IC, UP, SP) building practices or are obscure (USRA 2-6-6-2, 2-10-0 decapod) models of rare steamers. Anything larger than a 2-8-0 will look and run terrible on 22" radius curves.

Nobody has produced a worthy 4-6-2 that isn't distinctly PRR.

I would wait a couple of years and save your money for the possible release of some NP or GN prototypes with sound and DCC. They're bound to appear.

All of the strictly ATSF steamer prototypes in HO are all too large to run, espically the behemoth 4-8-4 with that 12 wheel tender! The 2-10-2's from BLI aren't much smaller and will require a 30" radius to look right.

Just my opinion, from the desk of someone who's researched model steam locomotives for the last 5 years.

Messages In This Thread