Steam...
COMBAT Wrote:
nkp_174 Wrote:Here are a few locomotives (off the top of my head) that may interest you:
-Southern Pacific 4449...aka the Daylight...which was painted up for BNSF during one of the times she pulled BNSF employee appreciation specials. She is available in every scale on the cheap side of brass
-AT&SF 3751...San Bernadino, CA's finest resident. I believe she's been used on the BNSF EASs....a 4-8-4...available in plastic/diecast

Perhaps the best candidate after the 4449 is IHC's 2-6-0. While they offer here in 200 or so roadnames, she's actually a model of a Southern Pacific locomotive. One of them is running in Colorado. She's a cheap model...but looks great and runs well.

WOW, Thank you for all the info. I have a few questions....

In regards to the Southern Pacific 4449...aka the Daylight, is that the same one I posted pictures of made by Broadway Limited? I like the black look of that engine.

Next question, the AT&SF 3751...San Bernadino, CA's finest resident, what is this? You said available in plastic/diecast, by who?

You mentioned you own a Bachmann engine. I do not have anything from them. What are they like for details and equiped with? I am looking for DCC, sound, smoke, good runner and a lot of DETAILS!! Smile Brass is to much so that gives you an idea of what prices I am looking for.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. It is appreciated!!!

The S.P. 4449 is currently residing in Portland Oregon except when used to pull an excursion. Apparently it was painted all black during WW2, so Broadway Limited and Bachmann have both produced it in a black scheme as a "war baby" version. It's normal paint scheme is the red-orange-black Daylight passenger scheme. In 1976 the locomotive was painted red-white-& blue when it pulled the western leg of the American Freedom Train.

3751 is a Santa Fe 4-8-4. It was restored in San Bernardino, Ca. and was kept for a while in a surplus building left over from the closing of the Kaiser Steel mill in Fontana, Ca. The last time I saw it, it was being kept on one of the turntable leads at Redondo Junction in the Los Angeles Amtrak yard. I don't know if the building that it was originally stored in was demolished for new construction or is being used for something else or what the situation was there. It was the first of the Santa Fe Northerns and the only accurate model of it that I know of is the one by Broadway Limited. By the way, in the 4th quarter 2008 issue of the "Warbonnet," the Santa Fe Railway Modeling & Historical Society's official publication, there is a write up of the ongoing process of restoring ATSF 2926 which was the last of the Santa Fe Northerns. It is being restored by the New Mexico Steam Locomotive and Railroad Historical Society in Albuquerque with a goal of having it ready to run and participate in the New Mexico bicentennial celebration in 2012. They plan to use it in excursion service on the New Mexico State owned trackage from Belen North through Albuquerque, Las Vegas and Raton Pass to Trinidad, Colorado according to the article. They also plan to bring the 3751 from California to double head the two "book ends" over Raton Pass. This means that someone having a Bachmann 3785 Northern could renumber it to 2926 and have a prototypically correct running excursion locomotive in the future.

One last recommendation, I would forgo smoke in an ho scale locomotive. The smoke is made by burning oil in an electric heater hidden in the front of the boiler. One of the guys in the modular club tried using the smoke generator in a BLI locomotive model and melted the smoke box. BLI replaced the locomotive for him, but he hasn't tried smoke since. We have also found in the club when we have set up at shows next to the large scale or the Lionel O-scalers that the smoke deposits oil all over our tracks and makes constant track cleaning a necessary chore to keep trains running on our ho scale modular layout. In addition the smoke doesn't even look realistic.

Messages In This Thread