A Rant
ocalicreek Wrote:Bringing this rant back to structure modeling again (thanks biL) and referencing kitbashing has sucked me in, especially since I just started a kitbashed structure thread using a structure that has been overplayed and abused again and again.

That's one thing I like about kitbashing, whether it's structure or rolling stock or locomotive work. I like taking an inferior product and making it better. Nothing is beyond salvage, but there may be items that call for a heavy investment in time and talent before they can be brought up to a higher level or a more fine-scale, finished look.

And let's face it, there are inferior models out there that many would call just plain crap. As a person who tries to see the good in everything I have learned to recognize the pros and cons of many shoddy kits.

That said, I also realize that expensive items like locomotives that are touted as reliable ought to run well and last long right out of the box...without having to change cracked gears (eh-Hmm! Bachmann Spectrum 44 tonners, shays, etc.) or remotor. I expect to have to remotor a Tyco steamer because the hobby has grown since they were originally released on an unsuspecting public. But the stitches shouldn't fall out of a silk purse, if you catch my drift.

Dangit, now I got us on locomotives again. Icon_lol

Galen

Excellent points. As you say, even shoddy kits can provide the foundation for a good finished model. Thumbsup

Messages In This Thread