Steam era signals
I used to work on a local that had to build a train with the engine on a grade, in the woods, on a curve. Of course we used radios. but I asked this old head engineer that hired on the PRR and worked for PC, CR, and now CSX, how was it done "back then". He said it was nearly impossible to relay hand signals there, it would have required a 12 man crew just to relay signals. So a traiman would ride the leading car of each shove and control the air brakes with the angle cock of the car he was riding. He said the engineer would watch the gauge in the cab of the engine and would know by watching the fluctuations on the gauge when to apply throttle or brake. Then after each joint, he would count to 30- to allow time for the trainman to lace the hoses- and pull, and again watch the gauge. Then stop, count to 30, and shove, watch the gauge. They had a plan all worked out to put their train together, then he would pull up to a grade crossing after the 4th double up, and the rest of the crew would meet him there. Not real sure where the cabin car, or brake test fits into all this.

Being hired in the modern era, I can't even imagine trying to hang on the side of a moving hopper and work the air using the angle cock, sounds dangerous, but he insisted the work was actually safer back then. I don't know how he figured that.

Dave
-Dave

Messages In This Thread