Ballasting and painting track
doctorwayne Wrote:... One possible difference which I haven't explored is the removeability of ballast secured with matte medium. With white glue, you need only re-wet (preferably with "wet" water) the area, let it soak for a bit, then start scraping and lifting track. ... Matte medium has many uses, but, in my opinion, isn't the best choice for this job. ... Wayne

I haven't used matte medium in decades , but if I remember correctly, It is a polymer-based "medium" and probably won't "soften up" like Elmer's, which, again, digging deep into the memory bank, is either an aliphatic or a casein-based glue.

At Philadelphia College of Art in the early Seventies,
the largest consumers of Matte Medium were the very filty-looking folks from the Fine Arts / Painting Department
(They spent every available penny on paint and canvas, hardly ever ate and didn't sleep much either.)
Those of us in the Industrial Design Department only used it occasionally, thinned liberally and
airbrushed on some product mock-up that was too shiney, and needed to be "flattened out.".
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln

Messages In This Thread