Ballasting and painting track
I'm definitely paintign the 'back' side - not only because the camera set on the tracks will surely see it, but I'd KNOW it wasn't painted if I didn't do it. I guess what I need is a bigger brush. I think I wouldn;t find it so tedious if I didn;t have to dip the brush back in the paint every 3 ties. I sort of like painting the handrails on my locos - very few come with the vertical corners properly painted yellow so I need to hit just about every diesel I own. I was afraid I wouldn;t be able to pull it off without getting paint where it isn;t supposed to be, but with my big magnifier and a small microbrush the ones I did so far came out ok.

I have thus far lived without an airbrush - haven't really seen the need. I have a bunch of undecorated locos to paint, but they all get one solid color and Scalecoat II comes in spray cans. So I'm all set.

I'm with Dr. Wayne, the onyl time I've ever had to clean my track is after painting - I didn;t do the rail painting on my previous layout, but no matter how careful some always gets on the top. I was using a spare finger to wipe it off this time the instant I noticed the goof, none stuck to the tops. The alcohol spray doesn't hurt anything, and using the mustard bottle to drip the matter medium on means it theoretically never gets on the railhead. The previous layout was even in an unfinished basement, no celing and nothign on the bare cement floors or walls. Running lots of trains, and no plastic wheels are what I say makes it so I don;t have to clean the track every week or even more often.

Next issue is figuring out what to have my tuesday night work crew do. One guy has absolutely no model railroad experience, last few times I had him drill holes for feeder wires and paint the foam with brown paint. The other guy has two layouts of his own, he's really good at lining up the wires fromt he switch motors with the little hole in the throwbar, but now all those are in place. His current layout is not yet ballasted, I guess I could let him have a go at that, if I get enough track painted.

--Randy
Modeling the Reading Railroad of the 1950's in HO

Visit my web site to see layout progress and other information:
http://www.readingeastpenn.com

Messages In This Thread